Webteam: October 2019
South Warwickshire Circuit
Gold Eco Award for Stratford
Stratford-Upon-Avon church has become the first Methodist Church in the country to receive the top Gold Eco-Church award from A Rocha. A Rocha is an environmental charity which encourages churches to make changes to improve their climate impact and take action for the environment.
Stratford Church started the Eco-Congregation programme in 2003 and was given 3 awards in the following 12 years. In 2014, the building was refurbished with the aim to be more energy efficient, successfully reducing the carbon footprint of the church premises from 40 to 16 tonnes CO2 annually. The church has also installed solar panels, a ground source heat pump and a rainwater harvesting system to flush the toilets.
Church members are particularly proud of their wild flower garden which they developed on a small strip of land behind the church building to encourage biodiversity.
Stratford Church are instrumental in the Stratford Climate Action Network and were joint organisers of the Stratford Climate Action Day in June.
The photo shows Lim Ho from Stratford Church receiving the Gold Award from Rev Jennifer Potter
For more information about Stratford Methodist Church, visit their website
To read all the articles in newsletter 4, click here
You may also be interested in
Eco ChurchIt is early days for the newly formed circuit, but there is every indication that 'Caring for Creation' will become an increasingly important aspect of our new circuit life. The Birmingham District Synod recently strongly approved a motion to become an EcoDistrict, and has already set up an advisory group to move this forward. Stratford and Evesham Circuit (as was!) has...
South Warwickshire CircuitNewsletter 5"Church Without Walls" is child's play in LeamingtonDale Street Church took up the call to be "Church Without Walls" by taking the Gospel out to the local park in a "Summer of Play".With council permission, a team of volunteers led by Children and Families Missioner, Michael Sharman, ran a play...
South Warwickshire CircuitNewsletter 5MICKLETON METHODIST CHURCH :We believe in Faith in ActionThe roots of Mickleton Methodist Church go back to 1812, but the foundation stones of the existing chapel were not laid until 1891. At that time the Society had only 14 members — much the same as the congregation today — though in between times numbers rose to more than 50...