Webteam: June 2017
On Sunday 18th June, at 4:00 pm, on the hottest day of the year so far, over 80 people from the Mid Warwickshire Circuit packed into the small Methodist church at Snitterfield to say a sad farewell to the church and its community, which has now closed after 134 years of worship and service to the local community.
Although there was a great deal of sadness, the overwhelming experience was one of celebration and joy in God's greatness and faithfulness.
Rev Barbara Greenwood led the service and in her introductory remarks, she said that their aim in preparing the service was that it should be a celebration of the life of the church and that we should raise the roof with good Methodist singing. Both these aims were fulfilled.
The lovely church has been the local centre of Methodism's understanding that worship of God is complemented by service in and to the community. However, changing demographics and dwindling congregations meant that the church was forced to close.
A copy of the Service Booklet is available on this website.
You may also be interested in
Eco ChurchIt is early days for the newly formed circuit, but there is every indication that 'Caring for Creation' will become an increasingly important aspect of our new circuit life. The Birmingham District Synod recently strongly approved a motion to become an EcoDistrict, and has already set up an advisory group to move this forward. Stratford and Evesham Circuit (as was!) has...
South Warwickshire CircuitNewsletter 5"Church Without Walls" is child's play in LeamingtonDale Street Church took up the call to be "Church Without Walls" by taking the Gospel out to the local park in a "Summer of Play".With council permission, a team of volunteers led by Children and Families Missioner, Michael Sharman, ran a play...
South Warwickshire CircuitNewsletter 5MICKLETON METHODIST CHURCH :We believe in Faith in ActionThe roots of Mickleton Methodist Church go back to 1812, but the foundation stones of the existing chapel were not laid until 1891. At that time the Society had only 14 members — much the same as the congregation today — though in between times numbers rose to more than 50...